We for you – you for us
We are lucky, you are a guest at the Tobelhof. Our goal is that you like to be in the Tobelhof. We are happy if you visit us again and again for the first time or as many do.
Goodbye – Your Tobelhof Team
The history of the
slumbers in every stone
The history of the Tobelhof
The Tobelhof was first mentioned in 1315 as “hof ze Tobel” on the Zürichberg. The oldest part of today’s Tobelhof can be traced back to 1553. The “Tobelhof” was originally a medieval grubbing-up farm. Even today, the courtyard of several detached buildings is surrounded by Wiesland and is not directly connected to the more recent development of the city. It is located on the city of Zurich above Dübendorf and enjoys views of the Glatttal valley. The assembled group of buildings is essentially around 500 years old and forms the main part of the complex. It is a typical arable multi-purpose building for our area, which united stables, tenns and living under a large saddle roof. The mountain-side walm, on the other hand, is almost unique – not often a full whale has been built in rural buildings in this country, but even less often this roof shape has been preserved to this day. Other roofs, some of which are transverse or offset to the main roof, as well as expansive canopies, contribute to the ensemble’s varied roof landscape – the result of larger and smaller additional buildings and a very typical process for a farm that has repeatedly adapted the buildings to new operational conditions. Adjustments have also been made to the living rooms: although some walls are still made of planks – the oldest building will have only such ones – most have been replaced in half-timbered works over the centuries. The same thing happened with the eaves facades of the residential part. Despite this renovation, old window patterns have been preserved: on the ground floor there are window trolleys, on the upper floor single or double windows. The location of the rooms can be read from the window trolleys. These extend almost the entire length of both eaves facades – an impressive appearance and also an indication that the “Tobelhof” must once have been a double residential building. The former living rooms on both sides are now restaurant rooms of the restaurant. The roof space above the living area is used in its original way as a cold room and storage. Here the almost 500-year-old construction of stands, struts and rafting is visible. The several-metre-high brick wall, which separates the building along the First and in turn refers to the former semi-detached house, is striking. The economic buildings of the “Tobelhof” are designed in a typical way for local agricultural buildings: wooden stand buildings, stables can be seen from the outside on brick or plastered walls. The rural ensemble with the restaurant “Alter Tobelhof” with the “Chäsalp” in the annex building has been owned by the city of Zurich since 1957. The buildings still have a clear influence of the former double use as a restaurant and farm. Apart from the new extension, all buildings and the rural environment are under municipal monument protection.
On 3 September 2014, the city council approved a total renovation, which started in May 2015. The renovation included:
– Dismantling of two extensions from the 1960s and a new extension
– Thermal insulation incl. new window
– Complete replacement of plumbing, heating, ventilation, refrigeration, catering kitchen
– Fire protection measures
– New underroof and new brick covering
– Refurbishment and/or replacement surfaces and furniture
– Environment design including parking (implementation of design plan)
The Tobelhof climate
– inspiring and creative
Art in the Tobelhof
All pictures in the restaurant, in the courtyard and in the fireplace room are by Leo Leuppi. Leo Leuppi was born in Zurich in 1893. Died 1972 in Zurich.
From 1910 to 1914 he attended the art class at the School of Applied Arts in Zurich. In 1934, he founded the Groupe Suisse Abstraction et Surréalisme to help modern art genres break through cultural institutions and artists’ associations. In 1936, he was able to introduce the progressive Swiss artists to a wider public for the first time with the exhibition Time Problems in Swiss Painting and Sculpture. The following year, together with Richard Paul Lohse, he founded the alliance, an association of modern Swiss artists. With the alliance exhibition Neue Kunst in Schweiz, which he organized in 1938 at the Kunsthalle Basel, together with the Almanac neue Kunst in Switzerland, published in 1940 with Richard Paul Lohse, he set another important marker of Swiss avant-garde art. From 1959 to 1960 Leuppi was a teacher of experimental design in the fashion class of the Zurich School of Applied Arts. In 1963 he gave up his studio on Mühlebachstrasse in Zurich and moved to the bombach hospital, Zurich-Höngg.
The four coloured pictures in the garden room are by Markus Weggenmann.
Weggenmann née 1953 has been working as a freelance artist since 1990. Originally trained as an occupational therapist and later as a psychoanalyst, he pursued these professions before his artistic career. Markus Weggenmann lives and works in Zurich and Berlin. Weggenmann has been represented in numerous solo and group exhibitions at home and abroad. His works are in well-known public and private collections, e.g. in the Kunsthaus Zürich or the Kunstmuseum Bonn. Markus Weggenmann works in Zurich and Berlin.
Born. 1957, lives and works in Sion
Stays in Geneva, and Florence 1983-1984
Barcelona from 1985-1992, member of Visarte since 1994
Jean-Louis Toutain – Sculpture in the Garden
Born in Toulouse in 1948, Jean-Louis Toutain was fascinated by drawing, painting and modelling as a young boy. He continuously developed his craftsmanship and found his own personal style in sculpture at the age of forty. His figures have voluminous bodies whose limbs keep the suggested movement in limbs and leave great room for the viewer’s imagination. Toutain’s works are also represented in numerous private and public collections outside France.
Born in 1943 in Fremont, Ohio, the paintings were painted for our food wine and additional cards.
Brad Holland is an autodidactic artist whose works have appeared in Time, Vanity Fair, New Yorker, Playboy, Rolling Stone, New York Times and many other national and international publications. Paintings by the artist have been exhibited in museums around the world. Among them at the Musée des Beaux-Arts in Clermont-Ferrand and the Museum of American Illustration, New York City.
From 1986, the artist was a prominent illustrator with a high presence in the graphic arts community. The Washington Post wrote: Holland is the undisputed star of American illustration.
Hamilton King Award Society of Illustrators (1991)
Illustrator Hall of Fame, Society of Illustrators (2005)
In the permanent collection of the Society of Illustrators
To date 25 gold medals, Society of Illustrators